Friday, April 9, 2010

CAO La Traviata Cigar and Petrus Blond Ale Review

Petrus Sampler Pack Series
Appearance: An attractive looking hazy golden orange (yellow held to the light). Nice soft white head, a two finger pour, that disappears quickly. The head leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

Smell: Bready from the yeast and slight sweetness. Little uninspiring.

Taste: It is not a complex tasting ale. Fresh tasting – Yes. The Petrus has a soft orange taste with some grains and plenty of yeast for that bready character. It has a very light hoppy bite and it is pleasantly sweet from the malts. This is a very good summertime drink because of the smooth, refreshing mouthfeel.

Mouthfeel: Very refreshing. No lingering notes. This is giving me a clean feel to the palate. The nice watery edge and carbonation cleanses the mouth. Think of eating a melon or cantaloupe and how the mouth feels refreshed.
For just under 5 bucks for an 11oz. bottle – I’ll have to have something to celebrate when I have this again.

My strength rating: 4 Mild-medium in body. I could even say 3.5.

The Cigar
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano
Binder: Cameroon
Filler: Nic., Dom Rep. with ligeros tobaccos
Size: 5 x 50
My strength rating: 5.5
I had my first one yesterday and I really enjoyed the experience. So, I had to do a tasting today with this stick. I like the soft pepper and bold spice being delivered by the Ecuadorian Habano wrapper and the ligeros fillers. The Cameroon binder kicks in the nutty notes with a nice creamy-smoothness to the smoke. There is a nice complexity to this cigar. I like how the taste changes and evolves as I smoke this stogie. I feel like the body changes from a six strength to a 5.5 and for a moment or two, then the creamy-smoothness says it’s a 5 and then kicks back to a 5.5 or 6. Don’t just smoke this cigar – experience it – pay attention to the profile as you enjoy this quality smoke.

The Pairing
This is an excellent pairing. The light peppery and spice of the cigar is refreshed by the qualities of the ale. The nutty notes and smooth earthy nature of the cigar mingle well with the soft orange and grains of the Petrus. The smoothness of each of these complements each other, making an enjoyable experience.
As I finish the final two inches of the cigar there is a stronger black pepper note along with the bold spice that are returning but, the refreshing nature of the ale cleanses the palate. The nutty notes seem to take a backseat during the final two inches. Don’t worry there is no need for a glass of water along the way because of the nice water edge and carbonation of the blond ale. Overall, during this pairing, the mouthfeel is refreshing for that perfect summer day.

No comments:

Post a Comment