Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Round Barn Wood Oaked IPA: Review

Oaked India Pale Ale
the Round Barn brewery
Baroda, Michigan, USA
6.75 abv
$9.99 a six pack

I have to say that I am really looking forward to trying this beer for the first time.  An Oaked IPA – sound good to me and it sounds like it should go good with a fine cigar.

Appearance: cloudy, deep golden-tangerine body with a half finger bone white head that leaves some lacing on the glass with each sip but does not stick.

Aroma: light overall, some oak, citrus-floral in the mix

Flavors: the mild-moderate oak flavor seems to mix well with some muted hops, mild citrus at best with a little pine on the finish.   

Mouthfeel: moderate carbonation, dry, oak spice that is reminding me of my oak sea salt that I use in cooking, piney on the finish and aftertaste along with the oak, nothing overpowering

To the Point: IPA fans or Hop Heads might be disappointed or a little disappointed but, I like the touch of oak.  For someone who likes cigars and some cigars have oaky notes … well this would be worth buying and enjoying with a fine cigar.  Look forward to a few reviews on my cigar blog with this beer. 

Worthy to try … ahrrr … interesting to try? Yes.  For the cigar smoker it is a must pairing.  I paired it with a Liga Privada #9 and it was a very pleasing pairing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment