Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Beast Grand Cru Ale: Review


Annual Release
Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale
Avery Brewing Company
Boulder, Colorado, USA
12 oz bottle
16.83% abv
I think it seemed closer to 16.84
August, 2011 Batch No. 9
619 Cases

Made with Raisins, Dates, Molasses and Honey

Appearance: murky, sludge brown body with a thin tan head

Aroma: dark fruit, rich, sweet, and malty, oh yeah – a little boozy ... only to become stronger as it opens

Flavors: my palate is smacked with a very rich and sweet taste profile; the sugar, burnt sugar, honey and molasses just tear right into my palate, the dark fruits cut across the mouth and then the alcohol slashes the tongue, the malts are very rich in style and just dominate, the hops leave a bitter bite on the back and aftertaste, man I wish I was out in my cigar lounge this ale should go well with a strong cigar.

Mouthfeel: Wow, you want a full bodied, full flavored, strong ale … this is it.  Low carbonation, overpowering richness, very strong sweetness, alcohol burn, BIG time sipper,

To the Point: not for the faint of heart and make sure to plan when you are going to have this … you will need time on your side.  I had no idea about this ale and I did not read the label (except for the name) until I wrote my review and found my glasses.  17% alcohol … damn …    

This is not one I will be running out to find anytime soon nor will I wait for the next release.  One 12 oz bottle in a year is good enough for me.  


No comments:

Post a Comment