Thursday, August 28, 2014

St. Bernardus Extra 4 Review

Brouwerij St. Bernard
Watou, Belgium


4.8% abv
11.2 oz bottle
$18.99 a four pack
Seasonal: Spring

I have not seen this one before and I found out why?  The brewery has not produced this ale since the 1970’s. 

Appearance: glowing golden wheat field body with a one finger white head on an easy pour; not much on the lacing


Aroma: delicate; hint of fresh lemon meat and yeast

Flavors: light lemon zest; acidic; yeast; wheat; grassy on the back and finish as the ale warms up

Mouthfeel: zippy citrus; moderate-low super fine carbonation; medium-light body – the acidic citrus zip elevates this body feel to me; grassy/grainy aftertaste with a light moderate citrus


To the Point: a pleasing summer beverage; pair it with white fish, shellfish, or veal chops; this ale has a nice wit style to me; the ale does not thrill me overall; I’ll give it a B-; You can find something for 9 bucks a six pack that is just as good if not better 


No comments:

Post a Comment