Friday, September 23, 2011

Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock: Review

G. Schneider & Sohn
Kelheim, Bavaria, Germany
12% abv
11.2oz bottle
$4.49 a bottle


Appearance: blackish-brown body with a huge tan head that settles to a thin layer.  There is plenty of sediment in this bottle so make sure to ‘roll it’ or ‘swirl it’.  I swirled it today!

Aroma: wonderful nose with hints of sweet dark chocolate, rich coffee and a big time bubble gum note.  You want to know what a bubble gum aroma in beer is all about – well, buy this beer and smell it like a bloodhound.  I smelled it just opening the bottle.  If you don’t get it then, then take a sip and then smell.  Okay, my wife just killed that theory.  But, she likes Dos Equis.

Flavors: oh this baby follows the nose.  I just said to myself, ‘Self, make beer simple, don’t over complicate things; the average beer person does not really care about all the intricacies.’  Damn, I had to select this beer to review next.  Rich toasted caramel, touch of banana, 50% dark chocolate character, rich coffee with real whip cream, okay I stop.  Nice bitter note.  Okay that is it.   


Damn, I love this beer.  My all-time favorite is its brother Aventinus Wheat Doppelbock.  I’ll just have to do a side by side taste comparison one day. 

Mouthfeel: Very rich taste with a mild carbonation that leads to a fizzy and creamy feel.  The lingering notes are very pleasing with a 50% dark chocolate and roasted caramel taste.  The alcohol warmth showed up half way through my first glass. 

To the Point: yes, this is a complicated Eisbock.  This is wonderful and should be tried by any true beer conasure.  This will make my top 5 list if I ever make one.  

My Strength Rating: 7.5 – full of flavors, thick, creamy bodyfeel, alcohol warmth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment