Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Shiner Bohemian Black Lager: Review


Shiner Family reunion
Spoetzl Brewery
Shiner, Texas, USA
Six different 12oz beers from the Spoetzl Brewery
Bock, Black Lager, Blonde, Hefeweizen, Kosmos Reserve, Brewer’s Pride – Old-Time Alt
$8.99 a six pack

Shiner Bohemian Black Lager
4.9% abv


Appearance: let’s call it … black with a tan head that has some good lacing.

Aroma: at first whiff what the heck roasted rubbing alcohol?  It is not a big nose but, there is some kind of roasted slightly burnt wood or maybe a touch of charcoal.

Flavors and Mouthfeel: moderate carbonation feel with a medium body. Roasted malts and grains on the aftertaste with a lingering slightly burnt feel.  With each sip I like the taste a little more but, I still dislike the aroma. 

Seems to one dimensional in taste. 

My Strength Rating: 5.5 – for the slightly roasted taste I gave it an extra .5

This beer reminded me that I have not had some good black beer in a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment