Friday, July 22, 2011

Hofbrau Original: Review



5.1% abv
11.2oz bottle
Staatliches Hofbrauhaus
Munchen, Germany

Appearance: pours a nice light golden color that is crystal clear and has a white head that does not stay around very long.  There is no lacing on my glass. 

Aroma: is grassy and grainy.

Flavors: The flavor follows the aroma along with some bready-yeasty flavors and today I am noticing that slight euro-metallic taste.  By the time I got to the halfway point in the first glass – I did not notice it as much.  There is a strange bitter-floral note when I try to pay attention to it. And, that is not strange as in bad deal.   I did not notice it at all this past week when I was at an outdoor beer tent. 

Overall taste is very pleasing.   I have always enjoyed an HB or two during the summer or particularly late summer months when it is time to get ready for Oktoberfest beers.

Mouthfeel: crisp, still refreshing, nice carbonation level, very short grainy aftertaste. 

My Strength Rating: 3 – because of the crisp and short aftertaste.  The flavors are fairly mellow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment