Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Noel de Calabaza: Review


Special Ale
Ale aged in oak barrels
Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales
Dexter, Michigan, USA
$12.99 a bottle
1pt 9.4oz bottle

Appearance: dark brown body with a tan head

Aroma: not much of anything; hint of sour mash, tart cherry and cranberry but very, very light; I am not picking up any oak

Flavors: sour mash, tart fruit like cherry and cranberry, toasted oak comes thru in the taste, the spice is on the finish and aftertaste to me, I am having a hard time thinking of what the spice reminds me of … maybe a dark smoked salt

Mouthfeel: tart and slightly bitter on the aftertaste; fine fizzy carbonation, the sour and tart notes dominate, the spice is on the finish and aftertaste to me

To the Point: an interesting ale; I can’t figure out if I like it or dislike it; I’ll let the price decide – 13 big ones … I don’t think I would buy it again.  I dislike … couldn’t finish the glass I poured it out … the flavors are too strange 


No comments:

Post a Comment