Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Seef Bier: Review

Antwerpse Brouw Compagnie
Antwerp, Belgium


The Original Antwerp Ale
6.5% abv
11.2 oz  bottle
$14.49 a four pack

Appearance: glowing misty maple cream (golden yellow); one finger white head; make sure to swirl the bottle to get the sediment off the bottom of the bottle; no lacing

If I had the job of naming paint colors
I would call this Misty Maple Cream
Aroma: lemon peel front and center; dusty wheat; earthy yeast; hint of apricot to me; bring this all together and what you have is a dust cloth with lemon Pledge

Flavors: dirty lemon peel; sour wheat; earthy yeast; hint of stone fruit underneath; is it a wet coriander spice on the late mid and back or is it dusty wheat soaked in lemon juice?

Mouthfeel: tart; sour; dusty notes; earthy grains; lemon; moderate fizzy carbonation to keep the palate lively; moderate tart-sour lemon wheat on the aftertaste;

To the Point: I like it; I don’t like it; just like the other day when I had one; I don’t like the lemon Pledge on the nose – it reminded me of lemon Pledge and I cannot get it out of my mind; the nose just makes the taste … well … bothersome; if I don’t smell the bouquet while I have a sip the flavors are not all that bad; the earthy lemon peel style that has a light-moderate tart-sour note is not bad at all;

If you like lemon style beers (I am thinking of summer shandy’s) you should try this; if you follow my blog you know I am not a fan of lemon in beer; with that said I’ll give this beer a 79-80% - I’ll be nice today I’ll call it B-

For the price: $14.49 a four pack – I would give it a C at best; if this was 8 bucks a four pack I would think of buying this again in the summertime; 14 bucks – no.

Pairing: dusting the house furniture with ... of course ... Lemon Pledge


No comments:

Post a Comment