Sunday, June 6, 2010

Magic Hat #9: Review

This is a Pale Ale made with apricot extract added. Why would someone add apricots or beets to a beer – well at Magic Hat they do. This is a pretty unique tasting beer that is for sure.

Last summer or two summers ago the sports station here in Detroit, 97.1 The Ticket, Scott and Doug were talking about their love for Magic Hat #9. So, I had to try it and that is when I realized why Scott is still single and it is a good thing Doug is already married. Not only do I have to ask, ‘why would a brewer add apricot flavoring’ but, ‘why would someone drink this except for trying it to see what it is all about.’

Here is my take on this unique beer.

It pours a good looking golden color to the body with a nice white foamy head. Then the aroma hits you with that apricot smell and some bready notes. If you did not know it was apricot you may find yourself saying, ‘what the hell is that smell.’ The flavor then follows suit, with fruity apricot and the hops adding a good bitter bite and the malts helping to balance with some nice sweetness. Good thing it has some carbonation to wash away some of that taste. The aftertaste is dry and leaves me with a perfume like bite on the tongue.

Now, I have 5 bottles left of this stuff. I guess I’ll have to invite Anderson over to finish these beers up but, I hope he doesn’t wear Old English Leather Cologne – I think that is part of the demographic profile of men who like this beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment