Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Witch's Hat Big Doedish – DIPA: Review

witchshatbrewing.com

Witch’s Hat Brewing
South Lyon, Michigan, USA
Hops: Pacific Jade, Zythoes, and Citra
9.2% abv
DIPA = Double India Pale Ale
64 oz Growler
$20.00 refill

I have stated this before on the blog, ‘I hate growlers,’ and then $20 for a refill … it better be damn good for that is 20 bucks for 5 – 13oz bottles.  This is a quality Belgian beer price to me.  Well, just stop on by and try a glass at the brew pub before you buy … that makes since but, you know what? … I bought it without trying it.  Why?  Because I have tried six or seven of their beers and I enjoyed each one so, I’ll gamble that this should be good. 

Appearance: amber body with light amber highlights around the edges; a one finger (if that) head, large bubbles on the head, but I am pouring it from a growler; have I mentioned that I hate growlers; a splattering of lacing on the glass.

Aroma: aromatic with a touch of bitterness; floral hits me first with a nice touch of sweet pineapple and then a hint of fresh citrus that reminds me of pink grapefruit, white pine tree sap is coming to mind right now, a touch of fruit bread,

Flavors: on the delivery I pick-up some fresh pink grapefruit and sweet pineapple; those two flavors seem to swirl around a touch of caramel and sweet bread during the mid; on the back a touch of pine and a little sweet bread going down the hatch. 

Don’t sell this ale short.  Don’t just gulp it down.  Sip it, swirl it, damn gargle with it.  Pay close attention to the flavorful hops selected.  If you gulp it you will think it seems thin or watery at first and then think it seems bitter at the end of the glass.  I think we can play … what I call … guess what I am tasting with this ale?  I can see – tangerine, pine, grapefruit, pink grapefruit, pink peppercorn, pineapple, floral,  caramel, bread, sweet bread, fruit bread,

Mouthfeel: soft hoppy flavors, don’t let the word ‘soft’ fool you, soft bitterness, bold hoppy flavors (if you pay attention), a light creamy feel, low carbonation, oily, a tad bit on the sweet citrus side but has a nice long lingering oily bitter citrus feel.  Watch out for the 9.2% abv for it does not come across boozy.   

To the Point: Not close to being a bitter hop bomb; a flavorful hop bomb okay – I’ll buy that; nice mixture of soft and slightly bitter hops; the Pacific Jade adds some nice soft citrus; the Zythoes hop continues the tropical fruit and pine, the Citra hop adds some smooth bittering and tropical fruit – or something like that. Be ready for the sweet side of citrus.  Damn, I really like this.  This is top shelf to me.   

If you like Sierra Nevada Torpedo or Bell’s Hopslam give this a try.  If you don’t like those beers … well … they will probably have 10 other beers that you might like. 

This Company has only been around for less than two years.  Pay attention here beer fans.  I don’t play up locale breweries … read my blog … I have never sung the praises for any local brew pub (I do like Liberty Street a lot) … I just sampled six or seven beers from Witch’s Hat and liked each one … I like to complain … I liked each ale that I had so far … Okay Hyppie Girl was not a favorite but, it was a nice ale and my wife really likes it.  Oh, I do have a complaint, the Smoked Ale was too one dimensional … it tasted like liquid smoke and you would think a cigar smoker like me would like that … ha … I got you … one day I’ll do a review on their Smoked Ale. 

In three years this brewery is going places.  If they don’t it is because they started doing drugs or they stopped.  Whatever they are doing keep doing it … but, they are going to grow.  They are not going to be a player they will be a first round pick that goes big time in my book. 

This ale is worth the price.

This is the longest ‘To the Point’ I have ever written in three or four years of doing this blog.    

No comments:

Post a Comment