Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Dogfather Imperial Stout: Review

Laughing Dog Brewing
Ponderay, Idaho


Aged in old Bourbon Barrels
10.85% abv
60 IBU’s
48.9 Color
$11.99 a bottle
22oz / 1pt 6oz bottle

Appearance: black body with a thin mahogany rim; thin dark tan head; little spots of lacing


Aroma: sweet charred bourbon oak that gives me a dark chocolate coffee note with some roasted vanilla bean – I like this nose – a little hoppy bitterness as it warms

Flavors: sweet bourbon notes swirl; the sniffer glass really adds to this experience; as you take a sip take in the aroma from the sniffer glass; I am enjoying this; okay back to it – sweet bourbon notes swirl around a soft touch of charred oak; the bourbon notes make me think of roasted vanilla, Bing cherry, dark amber honey and nice touch of alcohol; some bitter dark chocolate – 85% like; espresso like; a non-descript hoppy note, to me, adds some bitterness

I'm a laughing dog too. But, only when the Detroit Lions play.
Mouthfeel: light-moderate syrupy feel – I would expect a thicker feel for an Imperial Stout; full of flavors; medium-full body overall; very low carbonation – super light fizzy feel on the tongue; the hop bitterness hits me between the cheek and gums and on the back of the palate – only after the stout warms up; the chocolate and espresso bitterness swirls on the palate; light alcohol spice and warmth plays a role; charred oak pleasing; the bourbon notes makes me think this would be great with some BBQ ribs or a great cigar

To the Point: to me this is outstanding; a wonderful tasty sipper for the winter days; I have not found too many Bourbon Barrel aged stouts that I really, really like – well this is it to me; the only minus points I see is the light-moderate syrupy feel on this Imperial Stout; I’ll have to look at the other ones that I have reviewed after this; I am going back to pick up 10 bottles


I enjoyed this Imperial Stout with a Camacho 10 Year Anniversary Gordo Cigar.  This 6x60 big boy has the old label on it and I am not sure if they make it any longer. I picked up a couple of boxes for around $75 each.  Damn, in Michigan it would cost around 300 large.  To me this cigar has a very nice mineral earthy tone with toasted grains and walnut flavor. 

This cigar mingles sooo nicely with this stout.  The smooth robust flavors of the cigar seems to just amplify the flavors of this tasty Imperial Stout. 

As for the Detroit Lions football game today – thank goodness for the defense.  They just scored a touchdown on an interception giving the Lions a 14 nothing lead on the Eagles.  You just have to love an outdoor game of football in this type of weather. 

Damn, the Eagles just scored.  Time out to see if he went out of the back of the end zone then came back in – but, you just can’t tell if he did from what I could see.  The call should stand.  Back from the commercial break and yes it stands.  The Lions better score again for some insurance.   


What is going on with showing NFL football games? There is supposed to be an NFL game on CBS and they are not showing one on that channel – they have downhill skiing.  The NFL making you buy NFL network to watch football or what?  Like they need more money and I need less. 

Damn, and the Eagles scored again.  Tied up! 

Yes, a TD return on the kick off.  Thank goodness for special teams.  Come on offence do something.  Damn, kick the extra point.  Yes, they must be listening to me.  Love it – time out to clear the field for the extra point and the players are clearing the field. Shit – no good.  The kicker fell flat on his back.  Okay go for two. 

@&!#it, the Eagles scored and made their two point conversion.  The Lions are finding a way to give up this game. 


9:43 to go and I give up!  The Eagles score and this is over.  It’s over, the Eagles scored.  I should have known better than believing in the Detroit Lions.   SOL


2 comments:

  1. How will the media spin this one to make you think this is not the same old Lions. Oh, the snowy conditions are are fault. They had it. They gave it up.

    ReplyDelete