Thursday, December 19, 2013

Gulden Draak Ale: Review

Van Steenberge
Ertvelde, Belgium


10.5% abv
11.2oz white stubby bottle

Now here is a new label that I like the old one was a paper label on the white bottle.

Global beer had me do some cigar and Belgian beer pairings for the blog back in 2010.  That is how I started doing my own blogspot.  Global Beer imports some of the best Belgian beer on the American market – spend some time on their website and find your favorite. 

Checking my own blog out I find out that I have not reviewed this tasty Triple Ale since 2010.  Time for an update.

Appearance: dark brown triple; most triples are blond or an amber color; two finger creamy tan head crowns the top of this dark brown triple; plenty of lacing sticks to the glass


Aroma: aromatic nose; sweet caramelized malts with fancy raisin and fig with a nice Belgian yeast note

Flavors: caramelized malts; dark candied fruits – raisin and fig; rich milk chocolate; hint of herbal tea; touch of toffee; nice alcohol spice; not boozy for having a 10% abv; pleasing undertone of fuggle hops

Mouthfeel: smooth is the word; okay ‘creamy’ is another word; fine fizzy carbonation feel; toasted sugars and Belgian yeast linger on the aftertaste; super pleasing mouthfeel

To the Point: this is top shelf!  Yes, 2010 was the last time I reviewed this ale but every winter I pick-up a four pack or a 750ml bottle and enjoy this great triple ale.  This is a great after dinner ale and a sipper at that. 

If you are a cigar smoker like me you must pair this with your favorite stogie. 


Plan to enjoy this one after your Christmas dinner.  Yes, pass on that boring Pumpkin pie and pour yourself a real world class treat. 


No comments:

Post a Comment