Monday, December 16, 2013

Bornem Triple Abbey Ale: Review

Van Steenberge
Ertvelde, Belgium


9% abv
11.2 brown stubby bottle

Another Van Steenberge ale that I have not reviewed since 2010 (on my cigar blog) and once again I might as well do an update since I bought this Van Steenberge variety six pack.  

Appearance: misty golden blonde with a nice white head that hangs around like a dog in heat; plenty of bubbles rise from the bottom giving you that champagne like look; I am using a champagne flute because this Abbey Ale has a big time champagne like quality - bubbles


Aroma: apple; yeast; white bread; and the effervescence just slaps the nose silly – just like champagne

Flavors/Mouthfeel: this is all about the mouthfeel with this Triple Abbey Ale; the effervescence just dances across your tongue like Fred Astaire; white bread, apple, and pear right after the effervescent blast; tart apple and a soft white peppercorn on the back of the palate that flows to a slight bitter note on the finish that reminds me of a dirty old lemon peel; bubbles all the way;

To the Point: as for being a Triple Abbey Ale – forget it – I’ll give it a C+ at best. For being a champagne-beer I’ll give it an A-.  It’s all about the effervescence here.  The flavors are even champagne like.


This would be good to pair with your appetizers – I served it at the fruit and chocolate fountain table back in 2010 for Christmas.

As for the Detroit Lions being on Monday Night Football tonight: They will lose 43 to 37.  And, for all you Detroit Lion slappies - buy a bottle of this Bornem expecting a quality Triple Abbey Ale and then feel the disappointment - the type of disappointment that you are use to feeling watching this team.  

Just so you know, I am a football fan I just live in the Detroit area and I have the Detroit Lions as my home team.  Why do I think they will lose? They don't like to be in first place and they have a history of ... Losing!


No comments:

Post a Comment