Monday, December 30, 2013

Curator Dunkler Doppelbock: Review

Ettaler Curator Dunkler Doppelbock
Klosterbrauerei Ettal
Ettal, Germany


9% abv
1pt .9oz bottle
$5.00
No date on the bottle
I’ll bet it has some age

Appearance: deep cola body note much on the head nor lacing; just a thin tan fizz on top for a second or two


Aroma: rich malty nose; fig juice; oh, is it sweet

Flavors/Mouthfeel: no doubt that this is a Doppelbock; super rich malty tones; molasses like; dark caramel; almost syrupy feel; cloying? – yes; candied raisins; no to low carbonation – closer to no; remember I said I’ll bet that this bottle has some age on it – I am not picking up any alcohol – as a wine ages the alcohol settles – so with this Doppelbock the alcohol has settled and the sugars are elevated and the carbonation is gone; I would like to try this one fresh to see if there is a difference; looking at other reviews I’ll say this is my issue -

To the Point: you better like Doppelbock’s when you try this; sweetness all the way; might make a good dessert beer; it is a sipper; 

Today's College Bowl Games: to me this is a tough line-up; Navy is giving Middle Tennessee 6-1/2 pts - I'm going with Navy; Mississippi will win and cover the 3 pts they are giving Georgia Tech; take Oregon with the minus 14 pts over Texas - Oregon has something to prove; I'm taking Arizona State even though they are giving Texas Tech 13-1/2 pts. 

I hope my picks end up being as sweet as this ale but, I also really didn't like this ale.  I don't like those big point spreads but, I am rolling the dice on them.  I usually take the team with those big points.


No comments:

Post a Comment