Saturday, October 23, 2010

Allagash Curieux

11% abv
750ml bottle
Allagash Brewing
Portland, Maine, USA
My Strength Rating: 6
Allagash.com
$17.99 a bottle

Bottling Date: April 2009 This ale has some good aging potential.
Appearance: Dull golden color with a fine white head that dissipated quickly.
Aroma: Solid oaky notes, sweet bready malt, and tropical notes
Taste: Tropical citrus bitterness (lemon and grapefruit like), I feel like I am licking the bourbon barrel, the bourbon barrels did their job then, green peppercorn notes probably from the 11% abv, grassy hops,
Mouthfeel: a sweet smooth style, the carbonation feels low, and there are some nice lingering notes left on the palate

This is a sipper! I opened the bottle while I started diner at 6:15 and it is now 9:00 and I am taking my last sip from my 12 ounces that I poured.

This ale also pairs well with dark chocolate. After my swordfish diner I want some chocolate so I got the 85% dark chocolate and the 99% out as well. Pairing the dark chocolate with this ale was very good.

This is a must try for the connoisseur.  

No comments:

Post a Comment