Monday, February 27, 2012

Dogfish Head Chicory Stout: Review


Dogfish Head Brewery
Milton, Delaware, USA
5.2% abv

Here is what they say on the bottle: “A rich, dark brew smoothed out with a touch of roasted chicory and organic Mexican coffee.  Goodness beneath a bone white head.”

I have never brewed up some chicory before but, last year I did look for some so I could give it a try and I could not find it anywhere.  It is suppose too have a good coffee like flavor.  I have always thought it was ‘a poor-man’s coffee.’   I am still interested in find it and brewing some.  And, if it is cheaper than coffee, then great!  

Appearance: I am going with a two finger tan head.  It is as tan as tan can be.  Black as midnight body.  There is no sediment on the bottom of the bottle to worry about. 

Aroma: roasted grains and coffee.  As the beer warmed up I noticed a touch of chocolate on the nose. 

Flavors: smooth black coffee like tones.  Might be a hint of roasted grains and a touch of pumpernickel bread like quality. 

Mouthfeel: smooth and mild.  The carbonation is fine.  A bit thin with a watery edge; not what I expected out of a stout. It reminds me more of a brown ale.  

My Strength Rating: 4.5 – medium body at best to me.

To the Point: Not what I expected from a Dogfish brew.  The thin and watery mouthfeel just makes it uninteresting for a stout.  I do like the coffee flavor from this beer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment