Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Delilah DeWylde-Berry Wheat: Review



Saugatuck Brewing Company
Douglas, Michigan, USA
Fruit Beer Style
5% abv

Looking at the picture on the label I’ll guess that Delilah DeWylde is a bass player.


On the bottle: ‘A crisp and refreshing raspberry wheat.’  In smaller font at the bottom of the label: ‘Ale brewed with artificial flavor.’

Berry flavors in beer are not one of my favorite things.  They can be too sweet, too medicinal, just plain strange tasting and once in a blue moon done right.  One that I can think of was a cherry flavor from Bell’s. 

Appearance: glowing golden wheat (cloudy) with a 2 finger creamy white head that will not leave, it still has a one finger head and I poured this 15 minutes ago.  Tons of lacing clings to the glass.  On the last four ounces left in the glass there is a half  finger head still floating atop the beverage.  The appearance is beautiful. 


Aroma: medicinal berry smell; it is hard for to get past the medicinal note to notice anything else.  The ‘medicinal’ note is not strong so I’ll call it faint and it does not linger.  The nose is not appealing overall.  I am really not ready for this now.  I wish the wheat came through.

Flavors: there is a raspberry like note, it is a little medicinal tasting but not really bad – which also means not really good; the wheat flavor is pleasing

Mouthfeel: smooth, crisp, fairly clean mouthfeel, low carbonation, a berry-wheat twang on the aftertaste; no medicinal notes; actually not bad on the mouthfeel


To the Point: for a fruit beer it’s not bad, I pour out most that I try on the grass or pass them off to the wife – I did finish this one.  I would not buy one.  I would drink another one on a hot summer day if someone else was buying.   Average at best, to me, because of the slight medicinal note.  I’ll give it a C+.  Maybe use real raspberry flavor and this could be a winner.  


2 comments:

  1. I for all time emailed this weblog post page to all my contacts, because if like to read it after that
    my contacts will too.

    my website: Michael Kors Outlet

    ReplyDelete