Thursday, March 8, 2012

Leinenkugels Red Lager: Review


Vienna-style Lager
Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Co.
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, USA
4.9% abv
20 IBU’s

Let’s get this up front – I don’t like ‘Red beers’.  I can’t think of one that I like.  I may have reviewed a couple of them since starting this blog but, it is not worth my time to even look.  Just give me a plain lager.  Red beers seem to have a strange taste to the otherwise typical lager flavor. 

Appearance: bright clear copper color with a thin white head that leaves some lacing on the glass

Aroma: smells like a lager, soft biscuit, grainy, maybe some hops

Flavors: mineral / stone washed sweet grains, caramel, grass hop note, overall on the sweet side with the hops making sure it is not overpowering.  It does have a 20 IBU rating  -  meaning it is on the malty side of town.

Mouthfeel: somewhat clean, watery edge, there is a short lingering note from that sweet mineral grainy note. 

My Strength Rating: 3.5 – that is as high as I can go on my strength scale and the only reason it get there is because of that grainy mineral note. 

To the Point: To me Leinie’s are not big in style but, they are easy to session (drink a few).  I personally would skip this beer but, with a burger or other hearty sandwich it should be okay.  Try it with a Rubin sandwich on St. Paddy’s Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment