Saturday, December 28, 2013

Delirium Nocturnum: Review

The Huyghe Brewery
Melle/Ghent, Belgium


$12.99 a bottle
1pt 9.4oz bottle
8.5% abv
Style: Strong Dark Ale

I reviewed the Delirium Tremens Ale yesterday while watching some college football bowl games and today I am still watching some college football and reviewing Delirium Nocturnum Ale.  I don’t know if these Delirium Ales are having an effect on me but all the goal posts look like this (see picture below):


Maybe, I am starting to hallucinate?  Hey, I have a pink elephant on my beer bottle why can’t my goal posts during a football look like that?  With goal posts like that who wouldn't want to be a field goal kicker.  I am sure I can get it between the uprights.  I hope you don't mind my wife posing for these pictures - damn, I am hallucinating.  

Today's College Bowl Picks: take Rugers and the 15-1/2 pts over Notre Dame; North Carolina will cover the 3 pts that Cincinnati gets (home game for NC); take Miami and the 3-1/2 pts over Louisville; and Kansas State will cover the 3-1/2 pts Michigan gets.  I see a lot of field goals being kicked today!

On with the review.

Appearance: deep brown body with chestnut highlights; nice one finger light tan head and not much on the lacing front


Aroma: holiday brown bread; sweet dark fruit;

Flavors: dark brown fruit, candied fig and prune like; brown spice – a pinch of allspice; brown holiday breadiness; light toasted malts; little nutty – and so am I as I keep looking at that goal post; some toffee coming from the caramel malts and dark sugar;


Mouthfeel: smooth; moderate carbonation for a soft fizzy feel; I wonder if those goal posts have a soft fizzy feel; light sweetness mixed with a soft bitterness;


To the Point: this is a super nice strong dark ale; on beer advocate it received a 90 with 1,788 reviews; I would give this a higher rating personally; for this style let me say 95 for as high as I would go; I prefer this one over the Tremens; if you like Belgian Ales like I do - this is a must try


No comments:

Post a Comment