Sunday, December 16, 2012

Snow Day Winter Ale: Review

I just reviewed two Pilsner beers ... let's get something with some character.

New Belgium Brewing
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
6.2% abv
55 IBU

On the bottle, “…dark caramel roasted Midnight Wheat braced with a serious load of Styrian Goldings, Centennial and Casade hops?”

Had this beer on tap at The Oven in Caro Michigan and enjoyed it so much I almost stayed the night in the town just so I could drink another one or two.  Looking forward to having it today while, I watch my Detroit Lions.
Can they beat a bad team in the Arizona Cardinals ... I doubt it ... but, I'll watch anyways.  

Appearance: very dark brown body; hold it to the light and you’ll see some mahogany highlights; super 2 finger light tan head that has great staying power; just sheets of lacing hanging on the glass like a big old velvet curtain.

Aroma: toasted grains/malts, hint of dark fruit, touch of spice, light pine. 

Flavors: deep roasted caramel malts, profound toasted grains, and grassy bitter hops.  Not all that complex but, it sure is enjoyable. 

Mouthfeel: nice moderate bitterness from start to finish, fine fizzy carbonation, roasted notes and light-moderate bitterness linger on the aftertaste, firm body, medium-full overall,

My Strength Rating: 6.5 – the hops kick it up notch (50 IBUs); deep roasted notes

To the Point: I really enjoyed this on tap and now I wish I bought the twelve pack instead of the six pack.  I am waiting for my ‘Snow Day.’  


Side note: the Detroit Loins lost ... of course. 

My Black and Tan Hound Dog ... Annie
Rules, the Detroit Loins Suck
And she is a Judge ... see the wig



No comments:

Post a Comment