Sunday, February 23, 2014

Bordeaux Barrel Aged Scotch Silly Ale: Review

Brasserie De Silly
Silly, Belgium


Scotch Silly Ale aged in Bordeaux Barrel.
9% abv
750ml bottle
$13.00 from Ashley’s of Westland, Michigan
I could not find any information on the Global Beer website.

I was pretty excited about the Port Barrel Ale and I have to admit that I was a little disappointed.  I don’t know what to expect now with this one.  If you ever visit my wine blog you know I love my wines so, once again my expectation is high but, I am ready for the letdown.  So, I am skeptical going into this now.   

Appearance: murky brown body with a one finger tan head that leaves no lacing on the glass; the barrel aging added some darkness to the body


Aroma: some black fruit like black currant, mulberry, black raspberry; firm malty note; not as sweet as the Port Aged Scotch Silly.

Flavors: one sip, two sip; not bad; third sip – I am liking this one; oh yes, the Bordeaux Barrel aging is coming through; the black fruit of the Bordeaux is blending well with the Ale; the nose and the flavor are working together like a fine wine should; black currant and black plum mingle so well with the ales toasted caramel malts; hint of toffee; light coffee; slight hint of oak; I am being reminded of the black raspberry jam I had this morning on a fresh biscuit but no tiny seeds here.

Mouthfeel: dry feel like a fine Bordeaux; low carbonation; medium-full body; very nice ale notes mix so well with the wine barrel notes; moderate bitterness really controls the sweetness of the Scotch Silly Ale. 


To the Point: I really like how the Bordeaux Barrel Aging stood out and added a lot of character to this ale.  The nose was very pleasing and match the flavors.  If you like good red wines and you like a good ale this should do the trick.  I will plan to buy more of this ale. 


No comments:

Post a Comment