Saturday, December 14, 2013

Piraat Ale in the Newest Label

Piraat is one of my overall favorite beers and my favorite Belgian beer for sure.  Other beers I rotate in and out of my stock but, Piraat I always have a four pack in the beer fridge and at least a four pack in the cellar. 

The Newest Label
I picked up a variety six pack and noticed that the Piraat label is new once again.  It just seems like they put a new one on and here again another one.  I still have a thing for the old one that they used forever.  I just started liking the new one with the blue coloring to the label and now the ‘new’ one has no blue; still has the ship floating above the name and now the name ‘Piraat’ is floating on a deep purple color with ‘Strong Belgian Beer with Refermentation’ written in three languages in the deep purple color. 

The Old Label - It wasn't used long
The Longtime Old Label
What gives with the label change?  I don’t know.  Did they also change the beer?

I did find out on their website, globalbeer.com, that they are coming out with a Triple Dry Hopped Piraat Ale.  That sound good to me. 

10.5% abv
Typically runs around $17 a four pack
Belgian Pale Ale

Appearance: misty amber-gold body with a dirty orange-ish glow when held to the light; (I don’t remember that orange-ish glow) easy to pour two finger head as always; fine little bubbles that make the head look creamy


I compared the appearance of the ale from lastest label to that of the last label and just as I thought the ‘now’ older ale has a deeper amber body without the orange-ish glow when held to the light.  Wow, science at its best! 

Aroma: fruity, hint of tropical notes; fresh herb biscuit; soft spice; it still has a very pleasing and soft bouquet overall


Flavors: fresh biscuit and tropical fruits upfront; mango and tart pineapple; yeast and spice on the mid; nice sweet Belgian style that makes me think of candied dry fruit; with a soft musty white pepper and a hint of coriander opening up on the back of the palate; 

Mouthfeel: low to low-moderate carbonation – it gives me a fine fizzy feel; rich creamy feel; nothing overpowering – except for the physical feel from the 10.5% abv and thinking of that – be careful – for you may not notice the alcohol content in the flavor or mouthfeel but – yes, you will feel the 10.5; it is easy to drink and therein lies the problem with the alcohol content; there is some alcohol warmth on the finish; nice complexity; I have always thought that the body weight was deceptive, to me it comes across medium-full; but with the rich style, creamy feel, and complex flavors it is full bodied in the overall experience;


Personally, I think they have lightened the overall mouthfeel a ‘tad’.  Why would they lighten the overall mouthfeel? To get more American drinkers.

To the Point: this is a great sipper; take your time and enjoy this ale; it is a great after-dinner drink – a great liquid dessert as I like to say; it is also very good with a quality cigar, it has a good range for the type of cigar you like – from mild to medium-full;

Did they change the recipe? I don’t know. I may have to make phone calls but, I think they did doctor with it and ‘softened’ it a tad.  I think I’ll have to do a side by side tasting and then I’ll have to do a blind tasting to compare these two.  But, what will I prove? Nothing that I can change.




No comments:

Post a Comment