Friday, April 27, 2012

Short’s Brew Huma Lupa Licious IPA: Review



Short’s Brewing Company
Elk Rapids, Michigan, USA
$9.99 a six pack
6.8% abv
140 IBU’s and it is every bit of that

Appearance: amber with a shiny copper look – oops didn’t get that sediment off the bottom of the bottle.  Now, it’s a hazy amber dirty orange. 

Aroma: the nose is light for what is coming from the taste.  A little citrus and pine at best.

Flavors: big white grapefruit bite, black pepper citrus, pine, if there are any malts they are buried under the grapefruit attack.  If you want to know what a balanced ale should taste like well, this is not the one to try.  The Huma Lupa is hopped up.

Mouthfeel: steel wool like texture, pine needles, long hoppy bitterness on the tongue, I don’t know if I will be able to taste anything else the rest of the day at this point. 


I smoked a CAO Italia cigar with this IPA and it was a train wreck from the start.  This pairing is what this blog is all about; find the cigar and the beverage to make the best experience so, you can avoid this pairing from happening.  The bitterness, the nasty bitterness was just not for my liking.  The IPA just made the cigar nasty tasting.  I was planning to have a second bottle but, I just could not do that to my taste buds. 

What can we learn from this bad pairing?  Do not select a peppery spiced cigar to pair with your IPA.

Switching over to Belvinie Double Wood Scotch helped the cigar and my palate.


No comments:

Post a Comment