Monday, July 11, 2011

Hofbrau Maibock: Beer Review


7.2% abv
330ml bottle
Staatliches Hofbrauhaus
Munchen, Germany

I have had this Maibock in past years and I am not a big fan of this one or I should say I just don’t care for the style and the timing of the style.  One, Maibock is a springtime beer.  Springtime beers I want to awaken the palate for some good fruits, tasty sweet malts and barley, along with some floral or grassy hops.  Maibock reminds me of leftover Oktoberfest beer. 

I can see it happening at the brewery, “Hey Dinkensnorter I just found a keg of Oktoberfest from last fall. What should we do with it?   Nobody will buy it in the springtime.” Dinkensnorter replies, “Well Dorkishimmer, let’s call it Maibock and we’ll call it a springtime beer.”  Dinkensnorter is now a marketing genius. 

Appearance: shiny copper with plenty of head that is slightly off-white in color.

Aroma: very faint, slight sweet

Flavors: the grainy sweet malts are up front, kinda tasty, a nice grassy hop note in the middle, slightly peppery finish.  After a few more sips I notice a slightly toasted caramel note with a nice nutty style.  This bottle is much different than the one I had 2 or 3 years ago.  All I remember is that euro metallic taste with a flat Oktoberfest profile.  Today, this one is very nice.    

Mouthfeel: surprisingly the carbonation seems on the low side, semi-dry finish with that slight peppery finish to boot.  A light lingering dry grassy note on the palate. 

My Strength Rating: 4.5 -

No comments:

Post a Comment