Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Augustijn Ale: Review


8% abv
750ml bottle
$10.00 a bottle
Br. Van Steenberge
Ertvelde, Belgium

I have myself a nice aged bottle here.  It is two years old.  Let’s see how it has aged. 

Appearance: hazy golden body with a fizzy and bubbly white head that dissipates quickly. 

Aroma: Belgian yeast, sweet notes, golden raisin

Flavors:  lightly spiced coriander note swirls between a nice fruit style of blood orange, dried apricot and golden raisin.   Earthy yeast, sweet corn bread, musty nut shell and then, to me, there is a nice spice box finish. 

Yes, it was about two years ago to the day that I sat here at my summer place and had a bottle of Augustijn.  It was the same ‘vintage’ as this – both had an 09 mark of the cap and I have had this in the cellar since.  The bottle with the age on it is much darker in profile.  I think the one I drank two years ago had a brighter display of tropical fruits and peppery spices.  Today, this one has the earthy yeast, dried fruits, and more of a spice box display than peppery. 

Mouthfeel: a fine fizzy carbonation, semi-creamy texture, during the finish there is a slight spicy feel and no … to me it’s not peppery.  

My Strength Rating: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment