Thursday, May 1, 2014

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout Review

Alltech’s Lexington Brewing Company
Lexington, Kentucky, USA


Stout brewed with coffee and aged in oak barrels with Haitian coffee
8% abv
$3.55 a bottle
12oz bottle


Being born in Kentucky I am looking forward to trying some ales from Kentucky.  I was in Ohio last month and picked up several different beers from this brewery.  I bought two bottles of this stout because I like Bourbon Barrel Stouts and Porters.  

Appearance: black body with a half finger tan head that did not stay around long; no lacing; spotty lacing with each sip and it slowly slides down the glass to nothing; no syrupy legs


Aroma: just opened the bottle so maybe it has not warmed up to display the bouquet; nothing; just plain old nothing; weak watered down coffee at best; no bourbon here; went to my cellar got a bottle of bourbon for I thought maybe I forgot what it smelled like; yep, no bourbon on the nose; no roasted notes that a stout should have nothing, just plain ol’ nothing

Flavors: some charred oak; no bourbon; thin on the flavors if there are any;   

Mouthfeel: this is a stout; has the body of a black lager; fine fizzy carbonation; thin body; light bitter diner coffee;


To the Point: I would not even give this to someone as an introductory Bourbon Barrel Stout; Shit I bought two bottles of this crap; If they called this ‘Charred Oak Black Lager’ okay I would give it a B; for a Bourbon Barrel Stout – I’ll give it a D all day long;


At $3.55 a bottle for this dirty water go and buy: KBS, Siberian Night BB; Goose Island Bourbon Country; Arcadia Shipwreck Porter is great for the money; I say, don’t buy it and buy something good. 

This stuff is so bad that I don't won't to even bet on the Kentucky Derby and I never miss that opportunity.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment