Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Yule Tide Belgian Style Tripel Ale

Did this review back in winter


By: Heavy Seas, Clipper City Brewery located in Baltimore, Maryland.

I am sitting back watching a little hockey playoff and decided it is time to get some of the winter beers out of the beer fridge. This big bottle got my attention when I opened the fridge door so, let’s do a beer review on this Ale.

I was reading a few reviews about this beer and I was worried that I would not like it because of the sweetness that was being described. I can only go so far with that sweetness level when dealing with beer.

I am going to be pouring this big 22 oz bottle into a 16 oz glass so I will try to pour half of it at one time. This will leave the sediment, if there is any, for the second glass. The first glass poured a very light head. The body has a clear golden color. The aroma is of sweet malts, herbal hops with a good yeasty smell. Well, the first sip …., I think I might like this. Yes, it is sweet but, not powerfully sweet as I was expecting. After a few sips … this is flavorful. I like the coriander and other spices along with that rich malty sweetness. This sweetness is like a sweet orange and light banana.

The second half of the bottle poured another thin head and all the sediment is on this half. I’ll have to get a big 20+ oz glass for these big bottles so I can make one pour. The color is different than the first half due to the sediment. The color is more amber like and hazy. There is a nice smooth and creamy style to this ale. The mild hop bitterness is more of an undertone due to the malty sweetness. This is a must try. I’ll be looking for this Ale when next winter rolls around – but, please (Mr. Winter) take your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment