Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Good Harbor Golden Ale: Review


Aged in Oak Barrels

Leelanau Brewing Company
Brewed by: Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales
Dexter, Michigan, USA
For: Leelanau Brewing Company
Traverse City, Michigan, USA
$15.99 a bottle
1pt 9.4oz bottle
7.5% abv

I have had this bottle for a good year and I am sure the beer store had it for a while as well.  The bottle says it can be aged up to a decade.  I just wish they dated the bottle. 

Yeast is on the bottom so it will be needing a little swirl to get that good sediment stirred up. 

Appearance: bright golden yellow body with very little head on the first glass.  I don’t think I stirred up much of the yeast.  I put a stopper in the top and did a little more swirling of the bottle and stirred up a bit of that yeast on the bottom of the bottle.  Now the body is a hazy golden yellow and I have a few pieces of plankton swirling around. 

Aroma: sour mash, maybe green apple, lemon for sure

Flavors: this is more of a Sour Ale or better yet a Summer Shandy; sour mash, big time lemon wedge, sour apple,

Mouthfeel: a little floral like on the aftertaste along with a lingering lemon drop, this is very good on this hot summer day.

To the Point: not what I expected for a golden ale, like I said it seems like a sour ale to me; the flavor profile is pure lemon wedge.  I am not a fan of lemon flavors in beer but, this ale is refreshing. 


Look at this cool moth - he is ready for combat in his camouflage outfit




No comments:

Post a Comment