Friday, July 29, 2011

Bieken Ale: Review


8.5% abv
1pt 9.4oz bottle (750ml)
$11.00
Br. Boelens
Belgium

This is a one year old bottle.  I drank a few of these beers last year and I really enjoyed this beer on a hot summer day.  This ale also paired well with some woody profiled cigars.  Let’s see how it has aged.

Appearance: ruddy orange color, plenty of white foamy head and a fair amount of lacing on the glass.

Aroma: rich sweet caramel malts and some grassy hops.  Not very strong.

Flavors: this has changed from last year.  The overall profile seems richer and a bit fuller.  A stronger earthy honey note compared to last year’s sweet honey.  A nice hoppy bite has developed.  And, my wife brought it up that it has a creamy but bitter dark chocolate style.  I have to agree – just don’t tell her that I agreed with her.  The summertime fruits are gone from last year’s review and this year it has a dark profile, a little raisin like and golden raisin for sure.

Mouthfeel: smooth but filling.  Very low carbonation feel. 

My Strength Rating: 5 – I liked this ale last year and even though it has changed with age it is still very tasty.  And, I have one more bottle to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment