Thursday, April 18, 2013

He'Brew Jewbelation Sweet 16: Review


16th Anniversary Ale
He’Brew the Chosen Beer
Shmaltz Brewing Company
Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
16 Malts / 16 Hops
Click here to see the different hops and malts
16% abv
1pt 6oz bottle
$10.99

I have never had this ale before and I have to admit that I am not looking forward to reviewing this one.  I just have that perception that it is going to be on the sweet side, too sweet side, for me.  But, it may contrast well with this medium-full cigar that has a nice dose of pepper. 

Appearance: coffee black body with a two finger dark tan head; leaves some sticky lacing on the glass with each sip

Aroma: rich sweet malts, roasted malts, just a touch of alcohol, not as boozy as I thought it would be, let’s see what happens as it warms up, fig, chocolate syrup, coffee; the nose has that boozy tone as it warms. 

Flavors: this has a very rich style, the kind that can become too much for me, rich sweet  malts followed by some toasted grains, burnt sugars, dark chocolate covered caramel, a squirt of Hershey mild chocolate syrup, hoppy spice or is it the alcohol,

Mouthfeel: a bit syrupy, thick and chewy is a good way to look at it, rich toasted and slightly burnt notes cover the palate, sweet on the front and mid palate, hoppy spice and alcohol peppery feel on the finish with the sweet note swirling around, low carbonation feel,

My Strength Rating: 8.5 – full bodied

To the Point: as they say on the bottle, ‘this is about cupcakes and unicorns’ and I feel like I just ate three too many cupcakes and I am only halfway through this bottle.  This is a sipper.  Would I buy another one? … No.  If you like bold and rich malts … this is for you. 

And by the way ... I still could not finish this beer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment