Sunday, April 28, 2013

Hitachino Nest Beer XH: Review


XH = Extra High
Kiuchi Brewery
Product of Japan
Aged in Sake Casks
Strong Belgian Brown Style Ale
“Matured in Oak Casks which was used for maturation of Shocyu.”  - on the bottle
7% abv marked on the bottle

I don’t know a damn thing about Sake.  It has to be 25 years ago since I had Sake. 

Appearance: deep rich amber body with a fine little tan head the disappeared before my eyes.

Aroma: faint but there is a rich malty note and stone fruit.  Nice earthy tone. I do not pick up any boozy tone on the nose but, when I drink it I do.  

Flavors: light sweet grainy malt, rich stone fruit and wood, with each sip I pick up a little boozy note from the aroma and taste, oak spice on the finish

Mouthfeel: tangy on the tongue, no to low carbonation, slight bitterness on the mid and late palate, sharp cheddar like bit on the finish.   

To the Point: an interesting beer, I am not going out to look for it but I would buy one if I saw it and wanted something different.  


No comments:

Post a Comment