Thursday, April 28, 2011

North Bridge Extreme: Review


Norrebro Bryghus
Imperial India Pale Ale
Copenhagen, Denmark
9.5% abv
1pt 4.3oz bottle
$15.00 a bottle
On sale $10.00

Appearance: dirty brown with a fine beige head.  Solid lacing and a thin layer of head sticks around. 

Aroma: earthy hops, funky roasted caramel, barnyard.  Not the best bouquet around. Is this old?  No expiration date on the bottle. 

Flavors: earthy dusty hops, toasted caramel, good touch of toffee flavored coffee, grains, herbal

Mouthfeel: a touch of bitterness balanced with a solid dose of sweetness for an IPA, there seems to be a thick feel that comes across as ‘almost’ creamy.  Toasted caramel, grassy, grainy lingering notes. 

To the Point: This is a strange Imperial IPA.  It is sweeter than I would expect.  Too many identifiable malty notes and the hops seem muted or dusty.  It should be the other way around.  Well, it is interesting.  Interesting as in I cannot decide if I like it yet or not. 

My Strength Rating: 6 – medium-full rating because of it complex flavor profile and lingering notes. 

Oh, I just put on my reading glasses and started to read the bottle – here is an interesting tasting note on the back of the bottle: “…unusual for a true imperial IPA – created by an intense malty body that softens the extreme hoppiness.”

Wish I looked at the bottle first.   I did but, I just could not read it (the small writing), because I did not have my reading glasses on!

Visit CigarPostings for the cigar pairing

No comments:

Post a Comment