Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Leffe Blonde: Review


I interrupt the boring beer reviews of Lagers and Pilsners to do this Abbey Ale.

Product of Belgium
6.6% abv

Appearance: golden amber body with a two finger white head that leaves some good lacing on the glass.

Aroma: on one sniff I get some Belgian yeast, tropical fruit like bananas and a hint of pineapple and then on another sniff … nothing, clean, crisp, with a very faint fruit note. 

Flavors: a fairly good Belgian Blond with sweet fruits, every now and then I think I get a hint of banana; I do get a tart apple note on the mid and late palate and there is a good biscuit note.  I have seen reviews with pepper as a note but, today I do not notice any degree of pepper. 

Mouthfeel: nice touch of sweet malts without being too sweet, the tart apple helps to control the sweetness, low and fizzy carbonation, it is a little fizzy and tingles the tongue at first and then smooth’s out half way through the glass. 


My Strength Rating: 3 – mild-medium at best

To the Point: I like to pick up a six pack of this Abby Ale now and then.  I have never reviewed this beer for some reason, so today is the day.  It is easy to drink, not that complex, and tasty.  It is not that special for it seems to lack body and depth.  Also, notice that there is not much sediment in the bottle. 


The Leffe pairs well with most cigars from mild to medium-full.  Be careful on some medium-full cigars for it can overpower this Ale.  Tonight I am enjoying this Ale with a AVO Heritage Robusto.  


No comments:

Post a Comment