Thursday, July 28, 2011

Shiner Old-Time Alt: Review



Shiner Family reunion
Spoetzl Brewery
Shiner, Texas, USA
Six different 12oz beers from the Spoetzl Brewery
Bock, Black Lager, Blonde, Hefeweizen, Kosmos Reserve, Brewer’s Pride – Old-Time Alt
$8.99 a six pack
Shiner Old-Time Alt
Brewer’s Pride

Appearance: a good copper colored body with a little white head and then it was gone.  No lacing what so ever on the glass.

Aroma: faint malts, touch of grains and caramel

Flavors: there is a dry raisin bread malty character, undertone of caramel (have to be looking for it), dry grassy hops and maybe a touch of lemon grass to help add a nice bitter note.  As the beer warms up and it is getting close to the bottom of the glass I start to notice a pecan nut or some type of woody/nutty note. 

On the first sip I said, this is pretty good, then I waivered a little and now that it is almost gone I wish I had one more. 

Mouthfeel: has a dry, lightly sweet, a touch of bitter Alt style.  Dry citrus peel lingering note left on the tongue. 

My Strength Rating: 5  - a nice tasting Alt.  I wish I had a few more to figure out that last quarter of the glass nutty note.   If this was on tap at the bar I would buy it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment