Thursday, January 19, 2012

Southern Tier Porter


Dark Robust Porter
Southern Tier Brewing Company
Lakewood, New York, USA
5.8% abv

Okay, I have tried to review this beer a couple of times and I think I fell asleep both times trying.  So, don’t let the ‘Dark Robust Porter’ on the label fool you too. 

Appearance: really dark brown body with a ½ finger tan head and that was with a good pour. 

Aroma: very light, more brown lager like than porter, some light roasted tones.

Flavors: if this was a brown lager it would be nice, but a porter … really … a porter.  Roasted grains, toasted dark bread, some sweet malts in the mix, maybe some chocolate, there is a watery edge.

Mouthfeel: I can’t get pass the watery edge on this porter.  I want a creamier body or some viscosity to it. 

My Strength Rating: 4 – mild-medium overall, short aftertaste, big watery edge.  If I was grading this porter I would give it a C. 

To the Point: the flavors are nice but, the body to this porter is weak.  They need to put on the label, “Dark Watery Porter.”

No comments:

Post a Comment