Wednesday, December 17, 2014

The Bruery Oude Tart Review

The Bruery
Placentia, California, USA


1pt 9.4oz bottle
7.5% abv
Flemish-Style Red Ale Aged in Oak Barrels
2013 Edition

I have had three different ales from this brewery and have really enjoyed each one.  The Smoking Wood Rye Porter was fantastic and I would keep this on hand; The White Oak Barrel Aged Ale was very good and I would buy it now and then; Seven Swans A Swimming a Belgian-style Quad was a beautiful representation of this style.  So, I have to admit that I am impressed by The Bruery.  I am looking forward to this Flemish-Style Red sour ale.  I really like sour ales from Belgium so, this Belgian-style coming from California has my interest.

Appearance: dark cherry cola like body with a thin tan head


Aroma: big sour mash hits the nose; dark cherry sour apple hint of oak

Flavors: sour notes dominate; tart cherry, cranberry, black currant, granny smith apple, and red wine vinegar; toasted oak from wine barrels;

Mouthfeel: sour and tart notes dominate the palate; fine fizzy carbonation keeps the palate lively; long lingering tart apple and black currant red wine vinegar;

To the Point: if I was blindfolded and tasted this ale I would guess it was a Belgian Oud Bruin right from the Flanders region; I think the people from Belgium need to come over and take some notes!!!; this is one ‘great’ ale; I don’t use that word often but, I have to say it here – this is a ‘great’ representation of this style; Must buy if you like sour ales; if you don’t start to open your mind and palate to this style; I am placing this Ale on my Top Shelf List. 

I am going to sit back and enjoy the rest of this bottle with a fine Cigar


No comments:

Post a Comment