Monday, December 29, 2014

New Holland Dragon’s Milk Review

New Holland Brewing
Holland, Michigan


11% abv
31 IBUs
Vintage 2014
Bourbon Barrel Stout
First Brewed in 2001

Appearance: this defines black is beautiful; perfect black body with a two finger creamy tan head; some spotty lacing; I don’t see any syrupy legs dripping on the glass with each sip

Aroma: the nose even feels creamy; creamy vanilla-honey bourbon; dark roasted malts


Flavors: smooth, smooth, smooth; nothing bold here, not complex, pretty straight forward Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout; dark roasted malts; smooth silky coffee; nice touch of vanilla bourbon and sweet dark caramel; hint of toasted oak on the back; creamy 75% like dark chocolate;

Mouthfeel: this Imperial Stout is all about the mouthfeel; smooth, semi-syrupy feel, creamy, no carbonation; just inside the full bodied range; just a hint of alcohol warmth on the finish; too easy to drink for 11% abv

Say good-bye to the Santa candles from my parents house
they have to be 30 years old
I burnt them up tonight in my cigar lounge
To the Point: for an Imperial Stout I would expect no carbonation and a creamy feel; I would expect a little more syrupy feel and alcohol warmth; I would expect better syrupy legs dripping on the glass; I would expect bolder notes on the flavor; but, I still like this Stout for it is easy to drink; Don’t forget that it is still a sipper with that 11% abv; for the cigar smoker this should pair well with most cigars; I don’t think this will overpower a milder cigar but, still pairs best with a fuller cigar; I'm going with 88% for a B+


No comments:

Post a Comment