Thursday, February 6, 2014

Biere du Boucanier Golden Ale: Review

Van Steenberge
Belgium


11% abv
11.2 oz stubby bottle
$21.99 a six pack (sampler pack)
Refermented in the bottle
Style: Triple Ale or Belgian Strong Pale Ale

I cannot believe that I have never reviewed this ale.  Just before I started this blog, back in January of 2010, I stumbled across the Boucanier line-up and I enjoyed them a lot.  I also remember smoking some fine cigars with this ale and enjoy the experience each and every time.  I just can’t believe this ale is not on my cigar or beer blog – just a pure injustice. 


Appearance: cloudy golden orange body with a one and a half finger white head that settles to a thin layer in about a minute or so; some lacing on the glass; get that yeast off the bottom of the bottle by swirling the bottle with the last inch of beer and then pouring it into the chalice; solid sheets of lacing hang on my second glass of this ale during the first half of the glass then, spotty lacing

Aroma: to me this has that classic Belgium Beer aroma: Belgian yeast, sweet tropical fruits like tangerine and a hint of banana (a creamy red banana) with a touch of stone fruit; nice spice; aromatic hop;

Flavors: sweet malts and nice aromatic hops show some good balance (still on the sweet side); stone fruits and citrus zest swirl around some sweet grains and honey; spice on the back that reminds me of pink peppercorn; come to think of it the sweetness also reminds me of the cranberry maple rub that I just sautéed up in some unsalted butter that I glazed my pecans in that I covered my veal chops in today for dinner. 


Mouthfeel: creamy feel; fine fizzy feel from the carbonation; sweet candied fruit up front with spice on the mid and it all comes together for a pleasing aftertaste; a pleasing bitterness underneath;  medium-full body; the alcohol did not play a big role to me except for adding the light pink peppercorn spice note

To the Point: very pleasing aroma that makes the drinking experience a pleasure; the sweetness is under control and not in your face; the mild hops give it some balance; I am giving this ale a solid 89% for a B+ … no how about 90% for an A- … boy is grading a beer tough work; must buy – go out of your way to find this ale


The Boucanier Golden Ale paired perfectly with the La Gloria Serie R Maduro No. 6 cigar.


No comments:

Post a Comment