Sunday, June 24, 2012

Over the Pills Imperial Pilsner: Review


Magic Hat Brewing Company
Humdinger Series
South Burlington, Vermont, USA
8.1% abv
$9.99 a bottle
750ml bottle
75 IBUs
The brewery used Crystal, Apollo and Brewer's Gold hops

Appearance: slightly cloudy golden orange with a nice foamy white head that has some retention

Aroma: smells nice as I pour the first glass.  Usually, you can’t smell too much on a pilsner even when pouring it but, this one has a nice bouquet.  Some sweet stoned fruits, mild citrus meat, grains,

Flavors: good touch of lemon grass; it also reminds me of citrus meat; hint of nice sweet grains under the hops.  While enjoying the Davidoff Cigar I notice the spice profile which reminds me of a mix of green and pink peppercorn.  I just wish it had a little stone fruit in the taste profile like in the aroma. 


Mouthfeel: very dry for a pilsner, low carbonation for a pilsner, bitterness is up for a pilsner, prickly, edgy, a lingering bitter note that I would never expect from a pilsner – that is why it is an Imperial Pilsner. 

To the Point: being an Imperial Pilsner I guess I expected this.  I have never had an Imperial Pilsner before to pass judgment but, let me say I like this Pilsner.  I glad they did not go to the sweeter side.  It is a bit edgy but, I like it.  I would buy this again.  I would also enjoy this on a cool rainy summer day. 


I paired this with a Davidoff Millennium Blend Cigar.  This mild quality stick was the right pick for this brew.  I had another cigar selected and I changed to this when I thought about this being an Imperial Pilsner.  The mild cigar mingles well with this hoppy profile of a pilsner. A stronger, bolder, or spicier cigar is going to collide with this Over the Pills.  


No comments:

Post a Comment