Monday, April 9, 2012

Troubadour Magma Triple IPA: Review


Belgian Triple IPA
Br. The Musketeers
Ursel, Belgium
11.2oz bottle
9% abv

If you have followed this blog you should know that I am a Belgian beer slappy.  When they released this ale I was looking forward to getting it here in Michigan.  Last month I finally saw it in the party store.  I have enjoyed the four pack and now that I am down to the last one – well, it’s time to review this Triple IPA.  It would be my bet that the American Style IPA lovers, the ones who love the prickly pine and bitter grapefruit notes only, I’ll guess they will not go to much for a Belgian Style IPA.  Open up your mind and your palate and learn to enjoy the beverage for what it is.


Appearance: looks like butterscotch pudding with an off white head; super easy to pour a two finger head and it leaves globs of lacing on the side of the glass.

Aroma: the main focus seems to be the Belgian yeast, then there is a light hoppy tone, some malts and the fruity notes come along as it warms up. 

Flavors: this ale is better around the 40-45 degree temperature.  The bouquet opens up as will the flavors.  This is also one of those brews that not very reviewogenic.  The flavors to me seem to be muted or muddled together but, I like it. 

Here are my notes: earthy Belgian yeast, a mix of citrus meat, some sweet malts try to get through but the hops seem to beat them back.  See, it is not a pretty review.  But, damn I sure like it. 

This ale has a rustic-sophisticated style to it.  It reminds me of a fine flannel shirt.  Yeah, that it.  A fine Pendalton wool shirt, the kind with the patches on the sleeves, and sitting in a log chair by a stone fire place. 

I’ll be doing some cigar pairings with this ale.  This can be a very difficult ale to pair up with a fine stogie. 


No comments:

Post a Comment