Saturday, November 13, 2010

Kapittel Tasting Day and A Butera Cigar

Kapittel Tasting Day
{Reposted from CigarPostings2 blog: dated 2-20-10}


Yesterday I did a tasting on the Kapittel Blond Ale and it reminded me of the Abt for some reason. So, change of cigars and beers that I lined up for today. I am going to pair these two up to kill my curiosity. I am at my place up north Michigan and I don’t have another Oliva G Cameroon with me. But, this Butera Dorado should do just fine. I didn’t want to get another Cameroon wrapped cigar for I want to see how another type of cigar will do with the blond ale.

The Cigar
Wrapper: Connecticut
Binder: Indonesia
Filler: Brazil and Dominican
Size: 6 x 52
My strength rating is a 2.5. This is not a complex cigar. Just as I describe the Hemingway’s as an elegant cigar, so too is the Butera line-up. Most of the Buteras have nice creamy style but, I really don’t get that from the Dorado. I have always thought of it as a smooth classic tobacco taste with a solid cedar flavor. Let’s see how the cedar flavor of this cigar affects the blond ale compared to the nutty Cameroon.

The Kapittel Blond
The Kapittel Blond Ale still has an attractive light burnt orange look. The sediment must give it that burnt look for the initial pour because as it settles the haze disappears a little. Paired up with the Butera Cigar things are a little different. The sweet honey dipped fruit is not as noticeable. Little more play with the mild spice but, it is still silky smooth. I do like the pairing but, if I am looking to maximize my pleasure I am going with the Oliva ‘G’ Cameroon and the Blond Ale. I think that nutty characteristic of the Cameroon makes the pairing so good with the fruity style of the ale.

The Kapittel Alt Ale
The Alt pours an attractive hazy amber-orange with plenty sediment that floats to the bottom of the glass. The ale has a wonderful spice and citrus zip. I think the sweet orange taste is in the front for now. A good medium body complexity that is pleasing to the palate. This is delicious; every sip I take it gets even better. The sweet orange taste is not your regular grocery store orange. I will have to go to the specialty grocery store to find the orange that I am thinking of but, it sure is damn good.

Now, the sweetness is only coming from the nice orange notes that I get. This ale is only slightly sweet in profile and I like that. The real complexity is the nice mild-medium spice, mingling with the citrus mixture and the mouthfeel that lingers is yours to enjoy. The creamy texture of the ale hides that 10% abv so, be careful. With that 10% abv – globalbeer.com says, “it’s a triple by strength.”

I really like this Butera Dorado with this ale. The ale really makes the Butera feel a little fuller in body. I think the strong cedar taste clings to the palate due to the lingering notes left from the ale.

Now, I am left wondering how this Alt pairs up with the Oliva ‘G’. I am sure I will give it a try as soon as I can because; I think this Kapittel Alt is a new favorite. I also see in my notes that I want to pair the Alt with the Hoyo Excalibur #1.
This is a winner, too. I want to buy a case of the Kapittel Alt Ale.

No comments:

Post a Comment