Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Frankenmuth Imperial Stout 2013 Edition: 2nd Review


Brewmaster’s Select

Russian-American Style Stout
Frankenmuth Brewing Company
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA
1quart 1.8oz bottle
10% abv

I reviewed a bottle of this Stout a couple of weeks back, so it is time to open that second bottle.  The Stout was … terrible on the first bottle.  I have to admit that I am afraid to even open this bottle but, I want it out of my fridge.  If it is no good I’ll just water the grass with it. 

1313 bottles made and I have bottle number 0131.
Stouts are usually brewed as an ale but, Frankenmuth brewery made this as a lager.  They brewed it back in February of 2012 and let it sit for a year to age. 

This beer is all about the packaging.  What a great looking bottle and label.  They had three bottles left and I bought two of them. 

Appearance: black body with a two finger tan head that leaves some lacing on the glass.  The other bottle never poured better than a one finger head.


Aroma: It does not have that vinegar smell.  It does have a tartness to the overall bouquet with just a touch of roasted grains and I think I am pickup up an oaky note.  This is nothing like an Imperial Stout.

Flavors and Mouthfeel: some light roasted notes and this bottle has a tart flavor or is it a very abrasive sea grass note.  It is a very sharp tart bite that hits the mid palate; no carbonation; there is a light syrupy or oily feel; overall not pleasing

To the Point: this tastes like a sour dark beer.  The good thing – they don’t have any more of this Imperial Stout.  The only good thing here is the cool quart bottle.  I did water the grass with this beer.  

Click here to read the first review


No comments:

Post a Comment