Friday, July 27, 2012

Old Speckled Hen Ale: Review


Morland Brewing
England
5.2% abv
$10.99 a six pack
12oz bottles
English Pale Ale

I have not had this ale in a long long time.  This use to be one of my favorite English Ales and when I saw the six pack sitting there in the store I just had to pick one up.  They also make Hen’s Tooth which I like a lot as well and I have not seen that around in years.  I can’t believe that I have never reviewed this ale. 

Appearance: nice copper body with a 2 finger off-white head.

Aroma: lightly toasted malts, citrus meat, a little sharp

Flavors: rich toasted malts, the citrus meat is still playing along in the taste, pecan shell bitterness, mineral water tea like note,

Mouthfeel: moderate carbonation, light malts on the delivery and a mild bitterness on the mid and finish, when I think about it – it seems a bit thin on the front, a typical amber ale bitterness that leaves a spicy feel on the palate

To the Point: why was it one of my favorites … I just could not tell you.  It really is nothing all that special.  Just a decent pale ale overall but, it is very easy to drink.  The bitter notes are mild-moderate overall and don’t weigh on the palate.   

I just did a search on my posts and I did do a review back in 2010 and I just never made a link to it.  I’ll make the link (see side margin – under England).  I’ll have to  check my old review for differences myself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment