Friday, April 12, 2013

Round Barn Kolsch Style Beer: Review

the Round Barn brewery
Baroda, Michigan, USA
5.2% abv
$9.99 a six pack

I have never heard of Round Barn Brewery or Baroda Michigan.   Baroda is located in the south western corner of the State, just below Benton Harbor.  Their web site says they have been ‘fermenting’ for 30 years.  They make wine, beer and spirits.  Gee, it sounds like my kind of place. 

Appearance: steamy golden yellow that just seems to glow.  A pure white head that delivers a fine two-finger crown and leaves some nice sheets of lacing on the glass.

Aroma: dusty grains, soft floral, and a touch of lemon biscuit.

Flavors: a mild malty tone of fresh picked dusty grains, white bread, hard water; just a hint, of a twist, of lemon rind.

Mouthfeel: fresh, crisp, soft refreshing flavors, moderate carbonation, mild body,

To the Point: I have reviewed 3 different Kolsch style beers now in the past 10 months and I have enjoyed each one.  See: Shorts Kolsch 45 and Witch’s Hat ThreeKords.  I think I may have a new summertime favorite brewing here. I did say 'summertime favorite'  - I did not say a favorite style of mine.   

I am going to have to find eight different breweries that make a Kolsch style and do an elite eight bracket.  This style of beer is not that popular so, it may be hard to find eight. 

The Round Barn seems to have a pretty true to style Kolsch beer here. 




No comments:

Post a Comment