Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Troubadour Obscura: Review

Troubadour Obscura Mild Stout
Br. The Musketeers
Ursel, Belgium


8.2% abv
1pt 9.4oz bottle
$11.99

I have never done a review with this beer on my beer blog but, I have done a few pairings with cigars on my cigar blog back in 2010.  It is time to get a review on this blog.  I like this Mild Stout.

Remember, this is a “Mild Stout”

Appearance: a deep dark mahogany with an easy to pour two finger tan head that leaves plenty of lacing; remember two things – Belgian and mild stout


Aroma: toasted malts; sweet toffee; just a touch of chocolate; mild nose

Flavors: my palate is greeted by a smooth semi-creamy toasted malt character followed by a mild milk chocolate coffee tone with a hint of dark fruit (candied fig) swirling around the other notes; a gentle dose of peppery spice and tame bitter hops on the back;

Mouthfeel: solid carbonation, typical for a Belgian beer but not for a stout; smooth; semi-creamy; mild-moderate bitterness maybe moderate; slightly sour on the aftertaste; easy to drink; might be a good introductory stout, being a mild stout, for the person wanting to try a ‘full style’ beer or stout – the flavors are not astringent; NOW, I did not say this stout is full bodied; it is a nice medium bodied stout – to a newbie this would be wow, full bodied;



To the Point: It’s a Mild Stout; just like four years ago I visit beer advocate and people say it is thin for stout; It’s not a stout it’s a mild stout; similar to an Irish stout; it is supposed to be thin – if it was thick it would be a stout and not a mild stout; this beer is spot on for what it is – a mild stout; with that said, if I was grading this ale I would give it an 88 – a solid B+; to be critical here – a tad too much carbonation, the sweet malts and candied dark fruits over take the coffee; but, I still really like this Mild Stout.  


No comments:

Post a Comment