Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Allagash interlude 2008: Review

Yes, a beer with a vintage date.
Bottled on: August 2008 – proudly labeled on the front of the bottle because of its aging potential.
Ale aged in oak barrels
9.5% abv
750ml bottle

Appearance: call it amber or since it is fall ‘burnt autumn’ or ‘deep pumpkin.’ The head is a rich off-white color. An easy pour to a two finger head from this ale.

Aroma: wow, nothing. So, I take it to my wife (former bloodhound) and she said the same. I am in trouble with this beer then.

Taste: Do I have to taste it now? Oh, not bad. Actually, good – if you like oak beers. Sour oak mash. Firm on the sour. Little apple in the background. Over-ripen pineapple mixes it up with a little sweetness. This is tasty for a beer that has aging potential. This aged ale is a good sipper, not just because it is like wine but, for the 9.5% alcohol that can kick your butt. As this ale warms up it gets better.

If this ale is running for office I am voting yes.
Mouthfeel: a nice sour tingle on the tongue that leaves behind a green apple lingering tartness. The carbonation is strong enough to clean the palate – a little bit.

For those of you living in Michigan, I was told that Allagash will not be sold in Michigan. If you find any of their products they are worthy of the price. The price tag fell off this bottle but, it had to be around $10.00 for the bottle. I’ll update that if my beer store has any left for me to check the price. If he has any left I’ll buy the rest any ways. I like this ale. A very sophisticated tasting ale.

No comments:

Post a Comment