Saturday, June 1, 2013

Hoppin' Frog Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S.: Review

B.O.R.I.S.
Acronym for: Bodacious Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout
Barrel Aged Oatmeal-Imperial Stout
Stout Aged In Whiskey Barrels


Hoppin’ Frog Brewing Company
Akron, Ohio, USA
1pt 6oz bottle
9.4% abv
60 IBU

Barrel aged stouts and I have not gotten along to well this year.  I have not had one that I have really liked.  Needless to say, I am not really up for this review.  I did a review on one of Hoppin’ Frogs other stouts called D.O.R.I.S and it was great.  Hope this one is at least decent. 

Appearance: black as night body with a very thin bronzy-copper colored head that leaves no lacing.  Syrupy legs drip on the glass with each sip. 


Aroma: dark roasted notes, lactic, toasted oak spice, a little vanilla coming from the oak barrel, dark roasted coffee, nice dose of chocolate, as the ale warms up a light bourbon note comes to life,

Flavors: just like the nose; rich dark roasted coffee, lactic acid feel, hint of sweet bourbon - oak spice with a touch of roasted vanilla and caramel, 85% dark chocolate like bitterness, a little bourbon like note and a dark chocolate bite on the aftertaste, not boozy

Mouthfeel: no carbonation, just a faint fizzy feel, thick, almost syrupy, kind of creamy, oak and alcohol spice on the tongue, the whisky note is mild, does not have an overwhelming alcohol feel, full body


To the Point: a really good barrel aged stout; this is a sipper; the last two or three barrel aged stouts that I have tried just did not appeal to me; this one is top shelf stuff; to me the bourbon note was just right – there was just a hint of it, the bourbon did not overpower the stout style.  Time to get a bottle of bourbon from my bar and have a few sips, as I finish this tasty stout.   


No comments:

Post a Comment