Monday, January 30, 2012

Dark Horse Too Cream Stout: Review


Dark Horse Brewing Co.
Marshall, Michigan, USA
Abv not available from Dark Horse
Beeradvocate reports it as 8%
Fall & Winter Seasonal
Made with milk sugar (lactose)

Thick sediment sits at the bottom of this bottle.  For me, I have to stir this up.  Make sure to either roll the bottle before opening and/or save an inch of stout at the bottom of the bottle to swirl in the rest of the sediment.

Appearance: black body with a very thin dark roasted tan head (1/2 finger).  Swirling the glass you can see the viscosity of this stout.  It looks like maple syrup dripping down the glass with each swirl.  This also kicks the head up a bit as well as the aroma.   

Aroma: deep roasted malts and grains, roasted cocoa beans,

Flavors: delicious roasted malts, to me it has the right amount of sweetness from the milk sugar, 90% dark chocolate bitter bite at the finish

Mouthfeel: nice creamy texture, the sweetness hits my palate on the delivery and travels up the middle of the tongue and then the bitter notes fold around it from the side, not as syrupy as I thought it was going to be, dark chocolate bitterness on the finish and aftertaste, smooth texture

My Strength Rating: 7.5 – medium-full – the smooth style keeps me from calling it full

To the Point: a good to very good Cream Stout. I personally like the dark roasted notes.  While, I personally don’t think of this as complex I do think of it as having a very good personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment