Friday, May 6, 2011

Ola Dubh Special Reserve 12: Review


Aged Ale
Bottle No. 16187
Date: Nov. 2008
8% abv
11.2 oz bottle
$10.00 a bottle
Harviestoun Brewery
Scotland

“Aged in selected oak casks formerly used to mature Highland Park’s beautiful balanced 12 Year Old  Single Malt Scotch Whisky.

Appearance: dense black body with a 1/2” finger tan head that leaves some lacing on the side of the glass.

Aroma: lighter than I expected.  Roasted sweet malts, faint cocoa with a touch of smoke.   I expected an oaky note with a scotch whisky profile.

Flavors: dark chocolate (75-80% like), bitter-sweet cocoa, definitely coffee like, touch of molasses with a hint of fig and prune. 

Overall, a pleasing ale to drink.

Mouthfeel: smooth overall.  Some burnt grains linger on the tongue along with some bitter-sweetness from the cocoa.

My Strength Rating: 6 and I was expecting an 8 or a 9 out of this ale.  I was disappointed and pleased at the same time with this ale.  Disappointed because I was expecting more out of this ale and pleased because of the very good chocolate like profile and it was a pleasing ale to drink.

Okay, I can’t do the value rating on a $10 – 11oz bottle of beer.  Value is out the window here.  But, is it worth it?  Sure.  And, I will buy a bottle here or there just because it is a very good ale to drink.  ‘Here or there’ means once or twice a year.  Make it $4 a bottle and I would keep six or 12 bottles in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment